Finally finished binding the mantle! So it just needs a hook/eye (forgot to buy a big one from work tonight, so that will have to wait) and the marabou trim. And I totally plan to bring mantle and trim to my grandmother's house, where we're going for Thanksgiving dinner. I do not have time to lapse into a turkey coma! Feathers must be sewn! (Said feathers happily showed up on my doorstep today, which is good as I was getting antsy.) I decided on a "pink champagne" color for the marabou, which was a good choice as I think it looks nice with the dull spruce velvet without being too
The binding is decidedly
woobly; if I'd not planned on trim I would have made a little more effort! But - getting trim, therefore I don't care. There are a few nicks in the velvet (clearance, so unsurprising) and naturally I managed to put pretty much all of them front and center. Oh well! Can't really see them in pictures so it's like they don't exist, right? ;) (And ignore the weird light/shadows. Late afternoon, doncha know.)
I also mocked up a new brim for my bonnet; I'm using the same crown as the peach one from this summer
, but as you get to the end of the decade, brims are much lower, rounder, and closer to the face, although not quite the coal-scuttle typ
e that comes in in in the early '40s. If I were really dedicated, I would make up a new crown that has more of a flare out to the brim...buuuut I'm getting short on time, and as a very transitional style of bonnet there are a lot of varations! So the straighter crown is valid too, just not what I'd pick if I had infinite time. Anyway! I cut out the buckram pieces too, and am trying my hand at a blocked crown tip...buckram is currently drying on its ghetto-tastic block aka plastic refrigerator container. Aww yiss.